Have you only recently moved to Melbourne? Or are you simply looking to switch dentists? Here’s a quick guide on how to find a good dentist in Melbourne.
Lifelong good oral health means lifelong proper oral healthcare, and your dentist will become an integral part of your life; having a good dentist means having an oral health partner for the long haul. So if you want to know how to find a good dentist in Melbourne, you should remember that it is important to choose the right one for you.
What are your considerations when choosing a dentist? The dental costs? The clinic’s location? Or something more personal, like having a preference for gentle hands?
Recommendations from family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, your family doctor, or even your current dentist (if you’re moving) are the best way to find a good dentist. When asking for recommendations, find out if:
- They usually have a pleasant experience when they visit their dentist;
- Their dentist have a gentle touch and a friendly bedside manner;
- The clinic staff and assistants behave professionally and courteously;
- The clinic is clean and well-equipped;
- They respect your time and stick to their scheduled appointments.
With regards to dental costs, fees for consultations and various dental procedures vary from one practice to the next and depend on a number of factors:
- The clinic’s location, which determines the clinic’s overhead costs and, therefore, how much they also charge for their services;
- The kind of treatment you need, which determines how long it will take, whether or not the dentist will need the help of an assistant, and how difficult the procedure will be. Standard procedures, of course, such as checkups and cleanings, are usually charged more or less the same price within the same area.
Some people choose their dentist based on geographical convenience. They prefer their dentist to be near their home or place of work so it’s easier for them to keep their appointments. But if proximity is a deciding factor for you, just make sure you’ll still be getting quality service – this means choosing a clinic with a good reputation. Another way that you can gauge the quality of service a dental clinic provides is by checking if they have state-of-the-art equipment and modern amenities.
You may also choose a dentist based on their level of experience and expertise. This is especially important if you need cosmetic dental work or some other specialized dental service. Ideally, the dental clinic should be a one-stop shop for all your needs, i.e., it offers both basic services (checkups, cleanings, and extractions) and expert services (cosmetic work and other orthodontic surgeries). Once again, it would be best to go by reputation to guarantee that you will be getting good quality service.
Most clinics, these days, have websites and/or social media pages. Do your due diligence and find out what you can online. Before and after photos of patients combined with reviews will also make it easier for you to find a good dentist in Melbourne.