Porcelain Veneers are fine shells that cover the surface of discoloured, chipped or crooked teeth. Veneers can whiten, straighten and close unwanted gaps in your teeth.
The front surface of the tooth may need to be filled down before the veneer — known as traditions veneer — is set in place so the tooth doesn’t protrude outward. A second option is micro-thin porcelain veneers which require no preparation — known as No-Prep Veneers. The choice of type of veneer a patient may require depends on the conditions and colour of the existing tooth and our dentists are able to assist you with making the appropriate choice.
Porcelain Veneers Dental Treatment.
Porcelain Veneers can be used as a treatment for:
- Chipped teeth.
- Cracked teeth.
- Gaps between teeth.
- Misalignment of teeth.
Candidates for Porcelain Veneer treatments.
Generally, patients considering porcelain veneers must have healthy gum and teeth in order to receive this cosmetic treatment. People with conditions like tooth decay, gum disease and root canal infections do not quality for this treatment. However, once these issues are dealt with and treated, our dentists can plan and implement the veneers procedure. Therefore, it is important that the patient undergoes an examination of the health of their teeth and gum at our clinic before we are able to recommend this treatment.
Porcelain Veneers treatment should be considered as permanent cosmetic dentistry procedure and that has a long life span — generally over 15 years.
Porcelain veneers treatment plans.
In most cases, the entire process require two or three appointments. Your first appointment involves an examination of your oral and dental health and discuss your options of veneers. The procedure and expected results are illustrated by our dentists. We also discuss your goals and the results you desire to achieve from this procedure so that we can understand and work in-line with your goals. Often, X-rays, photographs and dental impressions are taken and examined to confirm that dental veneers can provide the optimal treatment to achieve your objectives. If the patient opt for receiving veneer treatment. The dentist proceeds to commence the treatment and often starts with removing a thin layer of enamel from the tooth where the veneer is to be fitted.
Removing the Enamel: The dentist removes a thin layer of the enamel from the front of the tooth where the veneer is to be fitted. Your Blue Spa dentist will be able to identify the exact amount of enamel to be removed depending on the type of veneer used. Generally, 0.5mm to 0.7mm of enamel is removed. In some cases, temporary veneers are fitted at that point if the enamel removal affects the patient’s smile or tooth function noticeably.
After removing the required amount of enamel, images and dental impressions are taken. A second appointment is then scheduled and the images and impressions are forwarded to the porcelain veneer making lab for the veneers to be produced for fitment.
Your second appointment involves preparing and fitting the veneers. As mentioned previously, the time and complexity of preparing the veneer depends on the selected type of veneer.
The making of Porcelain Veneers.
Veneers are made by specialist technicians — known as Ceramists. The technology a ceramist uses, their skill and experience play an important role in producing high-quality fabrication of veneers. At Blue Spa Dental, our dentists and orthodontists use the most advanced veneers fabrication facilities operated by skilled and reputable technicians who we trust to produce top quality veneers.
Porcelain Veneers Fitment Procedure.
Generally, the procedure is completed in steps. Once the patient returns for the fitment appointment, the fabricated veneers are checked and our dentists ensure that they are ready to be fitment onto the affected tooth. The procedure involves:
- Checking and Placing the Veneers: The dentist will check the produced veneer to ensure that they are fit for the patient and that the porcelain does not affect the bite of the patient or cause any misalignment. The dentist can make trimming adjustments to the veneer if required. He or she will also check the colour or shade of the veneer against the patient’s natural smile and decide as to whether fine-tuning is required. We are able to match the colour of the veneer appearance with the right shade of the bonding material used to attach the veneer.
- Itching the tooth: The dentist applies a special acid gel to the surface of the tooth. This create a rough surface at a microscopic level. This step is essential to prepare the tooth surface to bond with a layer of bonding agent that forms a strong base for the veneer to be attached to.
- Attaching or Cementing the Veneer: Once the bonding agent base is applied, the dentist applies dental cement to the back of the veneer, positions the veneer onto the tooth and adds a gentle amount of pressure to set the veneer properly. The dental cement would have been prepared to the right shade that will achieve the colour match to the patient’s natural smile. Once the veneer is attached, the cement is hardened using hardening light that triggers a chemical reaction from the bonding agent causing the hardening process to to complete within a few minutes.
After Treatment Care.
Veneers must be treated like natural teeth. Oral hygiene and dental care is important to protect and prolong the life of porcelain veneers. Regular brushing and flossing are essential. Veneers are fitted to meet the gum line, therefore, ensuring gum health is important so that the gums are protected against recession which would affect the look of the veneers.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers.
The benefits of Porcelain Veneers include:
- More resistant to staining than natural teeth.
- No discomfort as they cover the surface of the tooth only.
- Tailored to the shape of your natural tooth.
- Veneers are strong and durable.
- Long lasting 15 – 20 years.
Patient’s who present with teeth discolouration, chipped or fractured teeth, gaps between the teeth or teeth misalignment should consider the option of porcelain veneers as it provides for better protection of the teeth and dental health but also provide a long lasting effective cosmetic dental treatment.
Return to our homepage.
PORCELAIN VENEERS TREATMENT
Blue Spa Dental is the leading patients’ choice when it comes to specialised cosmetic treatments like porcelain veneers. Patients attest to the quality and skill of our work based on the amazing results we produce in our general dentistry, restorative and cosmetic dentistry practice. Our main focus is to always deal with the most reputable and professional technicians at modern veneer fabrication labs equipped with the latest technology. Additionally, we make the process easy with our genuine and friendly care and with explaining the entire process to our patients. We pay emphasis on meeting your gaols and objectives from any treatment and we work with you. Our clinics in Melbourne, Heidelberg and Hillside are equipped with state-of-art dental care technology and are constructed to present a claming and relaxing atmosphere making your visit comfortable and enjoyable.
Looking for a long term cosmetic solution to discoloured, chipped, cracked or misaligned teeth..? Consider Porcelain Venners to restore the colour and shape of your smile and boost your confidence.. Contact us today to make an appointment on
MELBOURNE – HEIDELBERG – HILLSIDE